New items added to Media Editorials and Opinions
- Minneapolis police must answer for costly settlements (Star Tribune)
- Oakland Police Misconduct Cases to be Re-examined (East Bay Express)
- Police-involved shootings soar in Philly as violent crime falls (Philly.com)
- 6 Police Misconduct Settlements Worth Millions (ABC News)
- Oakland police: Too quick to fire? (Mercury News)
It should also be noted that while many departments keep their records open, many others are closing ranks to prevent the public from knowing just how many officers are disciplined. See the series from Hawaii for one example.
Another matter of concern is that many departments are switching to proprietary and/or encrypted radio systems to keep the public and media from listening in.
It might be worth checking on the policies of departments in your area to see if any changes are in order and what you can do about ensuring openness.
The Tarnished Badge (wordpress.com version) should be considered an archive site.